Unveiling of Statue in 1908

 

The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Maryland was incorporated on February 28, 1893. It was organized on the 25th of the following month, the 259th anniversary of the landing at St. Clement’s Island in St .Mary’s County of Maryland’s founding English settlers led by Governor Leonard Calvert.

Its first public meeting was held at the rooms of The Maryland Historical Society in Baltimore on St.Cecilia’s Day, November 22,1893. This meeting was in celebration on the 260th anniversary of the sailing of the “Ark” and the “Dove” from Cowles, Isle of Wight, bearing Governor Leonard Calvert, brother of Cecilius, second Lord Baltimore, and their first Maryland colonist to these shores.